So Lon Safko wanted to summarize the secret of successful social media. His way of summarizing it itself is a fine example of successful social media. Reduced to 10 simple points that he dubbed Commandments: The 10 Commandments of Social Media:
1. Thou Shalt Blog (like crazy).
2. Thou Shalt Create Profiles (everywhere).
3. Thou Shalt Upload Photos (lots of them).
4. Thou Shalt Upload Videos (all you can find).
5. Thou Shalt Podcast (often).
6. Thou Shalt Set Alerts (immediately).
7. Thou Shalt Comment (on a multitude of blogs).
8. Thou Shalt Get Connected (with everyone).
9. Thou Shalt Explore Social Media (30 minutes per week).
10. Thou Shalt Be Creative (go forth and create creatively)!
If we were to speak of social media for social change (In a less elegant way) we would recommend to enjoy whatever social media you are using, never to shy away from trying something new even if you are not a professional and finally focus on the passions that drive you to work (be it poverty, computer literacy, women rights’ etc.) and your passion will rub off and people that you interact with for fun will be more receptive to your serious arguments.
Global issues and great decisions are made over a cup of coffee, make your social media the coffee table where you and your virtual friends make the greatest decisions!