SMEX is recruiting a program assistant to join our growing team in Beirut. The ideal candidate will be a take-charge, detail-oriented individual with a passion for digital rights and open culture, or the willingness to learn. The program assistant will be an essential member of the SMEX team, providing:
- Logistical support for the SMEX office and events.
- Programmatic support to the executive director and director of program operations
- Bookkeeping support to the SMEX accountant
Daily activities will include managing contacts; arranging travel and accommodations for SMEX events; compiling reportings and coordinating logistics for public discussions, workshops, and conferences; filing and tracking program-related agreements and project expenses. The program assistant will also manage the logistical needs of the SMEX office. This is an early-career position for a highly organized individual who aspires to make a big impact on a fast-growing organization.
- Organize and implement logistical support for the SMEX office and events, including public discussions and off-site workshops and conferences, the preparation of agendas, printing of materials, and coordination with vendors.
- Assist with compiling and editing of donor reports, including financial reporting, as needed for each project
- Work with the accountant to ensure that project financial documentation is organized and expenses are accounted for on a weekly basis
- Withhold the office petty cash.
- Manage and segment SMEX contacts
- Track project-related expenses
- Prepare correspondence and reports from meetings, conferences and discussion panels, assist on research
- Other administrative and programmatic tasks as needed
- Management of office supplies, office maintenance and office expenditures,
- Attending meetings as assigned and drafting minutes and memos accordingly.
- Relevant university degree
- Prior relevant experience, in particular with local or international NGOs, within the human rights sector, strongly preferred
- Experience in event management
- Intermediate expertise in Microsoft Office and Google Drive, particularly Excel and Google Sheets
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments while maintaining attention to detail and consistently meeting deadlines
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Familiarity with social media and digital publishing platforms
- A strong command of Arabic and English, written and spoken, and in-depth experience with the MENA region
- A passion for digital rights and open culture or the willingness to learn
More about who we’re looking for
- You have a positive attitude and a self-directed learning style.
- You take initiative and can prioritize tasks with little oversight and meet deadlines.
- You manage time effectively.
- You love to solve problems.
- You work well with others and enjoy being part of a team.
This position is based in our Beirut office.
This is an entry-level position, qualified by previous work or volunteer experience, personal and professional references, and interest in digital rights
The Recruitment Process
The recruitment process consists of three main steps:
- Interested candidates should first complete the online application, which includes three short-answer questions.
- Qualified applicants will be contacted for a follow-up video interview.
- Finally, the top three to five candidates will be asked to complete a time-limited exercise on a topic of SMEX’s choosing.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Social Media Exchange (SMEX) is a registered Lebanese NGO that works to advance self-regulating information societies in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Through highly contextualized media development and digital rights programs, we leverage applied research, social networks, and open technologies to advocate for policies and practices that will lead to sustainable social change.