The research manager is a mid-level position that oversees all aspects of SMEX digital rights research projects from conception to completion. Their work product is the evidence-based foundation for SMEX campaigns, expertise development programs, and policy briefs. They work closely with all members of the SMEX team and report to the operations manager.
Conceive, develop, produce, and disseminate SMEX original digital rights research and data, pertaining to both Lebanon and the broader Arab region, for a variety of donors, in English and Arabic. Specific responsibilities include:
- Producing research reports, policy briefs, and other research-driven materials for SMEX channels in Arabic and English, including working with graphic designers on layout and illustration and adaptation of key findings into shareable social content
- Implementing and overseeing research projects, engaging area and methods experts as needed, including ensuring that SMEX datasets are regularly updated
- Tracking research funding and identifying opportunities for SMEX
- Writing research proposals related to SMEX thematic focus areas
- Developing research and data collection methodologies
- Developing and managing budgets and bookkeeping for research project expenses in keeping with SMEX and donor accounting policies
- Leading donor reporting for research-related projects
- Briefing SMEX team periodically on research topics, trends, and methods in internet policy and digital rights
- Supporting SMEX’s editorial team in producing articles on relevant digital rights topics
- BA/MA in a field closely related to internet policy or digital rights, such as communications, media studies, sociology, human rights or IT law, cybersecurity, etc.
- Familiarity with SMEX’s core issues and must share common human rights values around privacy, users’ rights, electronic surveillance, data protection, freedom of expression, accessibility, open culture
- Demonstrated proficiency with digital rights and internet policy and governance topics, methods, and research challenges, particularly as they pertain to the Middle East and North Africa region
- Exhibits rigorous attention to detail with regard to accuracy, style, and citations
- A strong command of both Arabic and English, with native reading and writing proficiency at an academic level in at least one of the languages
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- Meets deadlines
- Positive attitude and a self-directed learning style
Beirut office or remote, as agreed
Mid-level position, qualified by years of experience and years working in the field of digital rights, as well as works published
The applicant should fill this form, and submit their CV and cover letter to: Jobs@smex.org with the subject title: SMEX Research Manager. (Emails with NO subjects will be declined)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Feature image via Unsplash.