At SMEX, we are looking for an in-house technologist to join our team. He or She will be working with a senior technologist on developing the technology within SMEX.
This is a part-time position that requires good understanding of the digital rights scene in the Arab region and globally.
- Complete tasks related to the different websites that SMEX manages and determine what can be improved in the technology
- Find ways to introduce and incorporate new technologies and processes within SMEX workflow
- Develop basic web applications backed by databases (e.g. using Django framework)
- Research and evaluate technical tools for the team to use
- Manage databases and assess security, usability and more
- Work closely with the security and legal team
- MA in a field related to computer, network, software engineering
- High degree of competence in a common scripting language, (e.g. Python)
- DevOps knowledge (e.g. Docker)
- Creative use of technical solutions to practical problems
- Familiarity with SMEX’s core issues and must share common human rights values around privacy, users’ rights, electronic surveillance, data protection, freedom of expression, accessibility, open culture
- Good writing and communications skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; respect for deadlines and iterative processes
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Ability to work under pressure when necessary
- A strong command of Arabic and English, written and spoken, and in-depth knowledge of the MENA region
Remote or in Beirut office
Qualified by years of experience and years working in the field.
The applicant should fill this form.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Feature image via Unsplash.