SMEX is seeking a “Freedom of Expression Organizer” to supervise and organize all aspects of the freedom of expression projects. The organizer will work on the Freedom of Expression Coalition in Lebanon, the Muhal Observatory for Freedom of Expression, and coordinate SMEX efforts on freedom of expression in Lebanon.
This is a full-time position that requires candidates to have good knowledge of the digital rights issues and to be organically involved in the freedom of expression scene in Lebanon and the world.
- Coordinate with different partners and individuals working in the field of digital rights sphere and freedom of expression. This may include coordinating campaigns, publishing statements, building databases, and other tasks.
- Work closely with FoE Coalition and lawyers to achieve the envisioned goal
- Lead project planning, execution, and monitoring processes
- Ensure FoE activities take place on time and comply with the policies and regulations of the organization
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project
- Plan and facilitate kick-off workshops with different organizations and individuals.
- Monitor the implementation and progress according to approved stated objectives, work plan, budget and record progress by working closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit, and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project
- Monitor, evaluate and suggest changes and improvements in program and material based on observations and discussions with beneficiaries, partners, and donors
- Ensure procurement requests are presented on a timely basis to facilitate timely implementation of activities, ensuring cost efficiency and accountability in compliance with SMEX and donor regulations and procedures
- Prepare periodic FoE project narrative and financial reports as well as other ad hoc reports, according to SMEX and donor requirements
- Working closely with the management team and with the consultant
- Represent SMEX in relevant meetings
- BA/MA in a field closely related to law or digital rights, such as communications, media studies, human rights, etc.
- Familiarity with SMEX’s core issues and must share common human rights values around privacy, users’ rights, electronic surveillance, data protection, freedom of expression, accessibility, open culture
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; respect for deadlines and iterative processes
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Ability to work under pressure when necessary
- A strong command of Arabic and English, written and spoken, and in-depth knowledge of the MENA region
How to apply?
The applicant should fill this form.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled