At SMEX, we are working on building networks around digital rights and freedom of expression, both nationally and regionally. We are looking for someone enthusiastic to draft and oversee the network’s framework, processes, and implementation in the aim of creating active and functional networks across the Middle East and North Africa region.
This is a consultancy that requires expertise in building networks and some knowledge about the digital rights scene in the region and the world.
- Lead and facilitate discussions with SMEX team and our partners to develop a framework for the structure of the network
- Research the different existing structures globally or regionally, and identify lessons learned
- Lead the implementation of the network building process
- Supervise and assist the program coordinator who will be working closely with the consultant
- Identify all the documents and procedures needed to build a network (secretariat, goal, mission, objectives, methods of joining, code of conduct, etc..)
- Create documentation to support the network (CoC, MoM, etc.)
- Create a one year plan for the network and the required tasks from the team
- MA in a field related to internet policy or digital rights, such as communications, media studies, sociology, human rights or IT law, cybersecurity, etc.
- Familiarity with SMEX’s core issues; candidate must share common human rights values around digital privacy, users’ rights, electronic surveillance, data protection, freedom of expression, accessibility, open culture
- Excellent understanding of network-building processes
- Advanced writing and communications skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; respect for deadlines and iterative processes
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Ability to work under pressure when necessary
- A strong command of Arabic and English is preferred (both written and spoken), and in-depth knowledge of the MENA region
Qualified by years of experience and years working in the field
The applicant should submit their CV and cover letter to: Jobs@smex.org with the subject title: SMEX Building Networks Consultant. (Emails with NO subjects will be declined)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Feature image via Unsplash.