The Advocacy Officer at SMEX will be responsible for engaging regional and international stakeholders working on digital rights in the Arabic-speaking region. The ideal candidate will be responsible for advancing and optimizing our advocacy work by designing and implementing SMEX’s advocacy campaigning strategy. This includes but is not limited to working with our partners, tech companies, the telecom sector, governments, regional/International networks, and UN bodies.
- Identify digital rights issues in the Arabic speaking countries and work on priorities in the coming 2-3 years.
- Maintain oversight and lead on the development and implementation of SMEX’s advocacy strategy and plan.
- Alert the team about relevant policy developments and provide high quality analysis, in coordination with our tech and legal units on key trends, preparing evidenced-based policy briefing papers, policy position statements, talking points and other public-facing advocacy products
- Ensure advocacy coherence and reinforce effective synergies between programs and advocacy by working closely with team members to strengthen advocacy into work planning and implementation.
- Liaise with key regional partners, and other stakeholders to ensure SMEX input is included in digital rights laws and policies in the region.
- Participate in and support the relevant working groups of the Arab Alliance for Digital Rights network, including supporting the planning and drafting of relevant key messaging and briefings.
- Support the key team members to identify priority advocacy objectives.
- Suggest actions to national and regional policy responses and policy frameworks.
- Organize regular private and public advocacy events to ensure SMEX’s advocacy messages are shared with relevant stakeholders.
- Support team in incorporating and integrating advocacy into all aspects of SMEX’s programme activities
- Ensure systematic training on advocacy and communication – building capacity of key technical staff
Communications & Media
- Advise on media lines and media/communications strategy, ensuring potential risks associated with SMEX’s positions are assessed.
- Support the Communication and Campaign Officer in the development of a communications strategy, ensuring communication materials/content is aligned with SMEX’s advocacy strategy.
- Support the Communication and Campaign Officer in the production of communication material as well as digital content/materials (e.g. fact sheets, stories, photos, blogs, social media posts).
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 3 years of experience crafting and delivering policy and advocacy work related to digital rights.
- Strong understanding of the political context of the Arabic speaking countries.
- Ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative data.
- Solid understanding of policy processes and legal frameworks.
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities, particularly in analysis and drafting of messages.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, human rights, social sciences, media, or related discipline is preferred. Advanced degree such as a Masters or a combination of disciplines is advantageous.
- Full proficiency in spoken and written Arabic
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English
Start date: ASAP / April 2022
To apply, please fill this form.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.