SMEX, the Arab region’s leading digital rights research, training, and advocacy organization, is conducting research on the roll-out of digital ID systems in Arabic-speaking countries. To assist us, we are seeking a tech-savvy social science or other researcher to gather literature, identify relevant stakeholders, conduct interviews, and survey the landscape of digital ID implementation in the region and beyond.
This project requires a rapid turnaround and in-region travel. You will work closely with SMEX’s research manager and lead consultants. Qualified applications should submit a brief cover letter indicating your interest, your CV, daily rate, and links to recent topical research for review by July 10, 2019. This is a contract position.
- Contribute to a literature review on digital ID in the Arab region
- Identify relevant stakeholders from multiple sectors related to the development and implementation of government-issued digital ID in various Arab countries
- Conduct and transcribe interviews with relevant stakeholders
- Travel to field sites
- Support SMEX research manager and other consultants by attending project meetings, submitting periodic progress reports, contributing to overall project methodology
- Light translation between Arabic, English, and French
- Adhere to ethical research practices
- Other relevant tasks, as needed
- Degree, preferably post-graduate, in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with social science and mixed methods research methodologies
- Superior notetaking and writing skills
- Experience conducting research in one of more of the following fields: ICT for development, internet governance, or digital rights
- Near native or demonstrable written and spoken proficiency in Arabic, French, and English
- Knowledge of different Arab digital ecosystems and familiarity with data protection frameworks strongly preferred
- Ability to travel within the Arab region required
- Proficiency with collaborative software and project management applications such as Google docs, Slack, Zoom, etc.
To submit your application, please send a brief cover letter, CV, daily rate, and links to previous research to email@example.com with “Digital ID Researcher” in the subject line. Applications close on July 10 at midnight GMT+2.
SMEX welcomes and encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply for this position. As an organization committed to social justice, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.