Are you a mission-driven, detail-oriented, systems thinker with great communication skills? Do you enjoy leading projects and programs, ensuring that everything from scheduling to process mapping, design and implementation runs smoothly? Can you easily oversee several projects at once while maintaining a keen eye on the organization’s vision and values? Do you thrive when given the opportunity to launch new initiatives and programs?
If you fit the bill, SMEX can provide a dynamic, easy-going, and challenging workplace to apply your skills. Our team has doubled in size in the past year and so have our projects, so we’re looking for a highly organized operations manager to join us in our new and sunny office in Badaro.
As the operations manager, you will be a key part of the SMEX team and work closely with the executive director, chief financial officer, and other team members to manage the workflow, including expenditures, of a range of research, advocacy and capacity-building programs and their outputs and activities, such as publications, workshops, and other events. In addition to monitoring project progress, you will be expected to help team members with project planning (narratives and budgets) and to assist with troubleshooting choke points or other challenges as they arise.
- Develop and refine systems for common SMEX operations, ensuring consistency of operations across all projects and programs, including in staffing and accounting practices
- Oversee and troubleshoot project and program implementation, including event logistics, to ensure that they are executed on deadline and within budgets, including oversight of project expenditures
- Lead all recruitment processes, including developing terms of reference for staff and consultants, interviewing, and preparation of other related activities
- Identify opportunities to integrate projects, through strategic partnerships, staffing, or other means, to enhance impact or operate more efficiently,
- Contribute to strategic planning, program development, and monitoring and evaluation efforts
- Track new funding opportunities, contribute to proposals and final reports
- Develop project summaries and light reporting on activities via the SMEX website, social media, and other relevant channels
- Manage SMEX governance processes, including coordinating regular board and membership meetings
- At least 5 years of experience managing projects and programs, preferably those with strong technology, human rights, and/or communications components
- A university degree in a related field
- Refined public and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage small, diverse teams to produce high-quality work on tight deadlines
- Exceptional editorial and digital literacy, including familiarity with Google Docs, Slack, Asana/Trello, blogging platforms, and social media
- Native fluency in English (and preferably Arabic, too)
- Experience in one or more of our core content areas: technology and the internet, human rights, advocacy, and activism
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS and the fundamentals of digital security
- Ability to work after regular working hours for events
- Can travel, if necessary
This is a mid- to senior-level position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Social Media Exchange (SMEX) is a registered non-profit association based in Beirut that works to advance self-regulating information societies. Our mission is to defend digital rights, promote open culture and local content, and encourage critical, engagement with digital technologies, media, and networks through research, knowledge-sharing, and advocacy.
Based: Beirut, Lebanon
Organization type: National Civil Society Organization
Industry: Digital rights, policy, and advocacy
Qualified candidates can send a motivation/cover letter, with your salary requirements, and your CV/resume to: email@example.com with “OPERATIONS MANAGER” in the subject line. The application deadline is May 31, 2017; we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.