SMEX is seeking a take-charge, detail-oriented Deputy Director to systematize our day-to-day operations and help strengthen our organizationApply Now!
For more than ten years, SMEX has been at the vanguard of advocating for human rights online and expanding knowledge of internet policy and governance in the Arab region. From hosting the annual Bread&Net unconference on digital rights in the MENA, to promoting digital safety through thought-provoking campaigns like #MeshAyb, and producing illuminating research on online privacy threats to marginalized communities, SMEX is an established thought leader on digital rights and their impacts on people’s daily lives, online and offline.
As a Deputy Director, you will be the linchpin of the mission-driven SMEX team. You will work closely with the organization’s founders, directors, and program managers to ensure that all core and project-related processes and communications consistently support SMEX’s strategic goals and adhere to established timelines and budgets.
Reporting to the executive director, the Deputy Director will demonstrate the ability to deploy a wide range of people and project management skills to support the healthy growth and development of the organization and our talented, committed, and pioneering team. You will be comfortable tracking multiple workflows and projects at once, able at a moment’s notice to prioritize tasks and needs. You relish troubleshooting chokepoints when they emerge. Whether a project is simple or complex, you will exhibit an exceptional sense of rigor and attention to detail. Even under pressure, you will engage with team members and partners with grace and diplomacy.
As the team member positioned nearest the center of the organization, the Deputy Director will have a strong voice in the alignment of processes with SMEX’s near-, mid-, and long-term objectives and will be encouraged to propose and experiment with innovative approaches that provide the foundation we need to amplify our collective voice and deepen our impact. This position is based in Beirut.
- Manage core organizational, internal communications, and project workflows in support of SMEX’s mission, ensuring consistency and smart allocation of resources across all activities
- Support and advise program managers and other team members as they implement digital rights research projects, advocacy campaigns, and local and regional events, fostering accountability for on-time, on-budget execution
- Lead human resources processes, including recruitment and hiring, benefits management, and performance reviews, in conjunction with directors
- Assist finance manager with day-to-day financial operations, monthly reconciliations, and annual organizational audit, as well as with financial reporting to donors
- Contribute to project reporting and organizational monitoring and evaluation goals
- A university degree in a related field. Project management certifications a plus.
- At least 5 years’ experience successfully managing events, projects, and/or programs on budget and on deadline, preferably those with strong technology and/or communications components.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience managing people
- Exceptional internal and external communications skills. Editorial and/or marketing experience preferred
- Advanced digital literacy, including experience with collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Slack, and Asana
- You speak and write English with high fluency; Good command for Arabic
- You are comfortable taking initiative and setting priorities in a fast-moving environment
- You have legal authorization to work in Lebanon
- Familiarity with and a commitment to promoting and defending human rights or a willingness to learn.
The Recruitment Process
The recruitment process consists of three main steps:
- Interested candidates should first complete the online application, which includes 3-4 short-answer questions.
- Qualified applicants will be contacted to submit their CVs and to schedule an initial interview.
- For finalists, we will ask for three recent references.
- Finalists will also be asked to complete a simulation exercise relevant to the duties of the position.
Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
SMEX welcomes and encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply for this position. As an organization committed to social justice, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.