SMEX is looking for an enthusiastic intern, who’s interested in working on digital rights issues and online advocacy campaigns in Lebanon and the greater MENA region, for the 2018 spring and summer.
You will work closely with the SMEX team and partners on existing research projects related to these issues, write for our website, and contribute to our newsletter. We also encourage our interns to come up with ideas for their own projects.
- Researching digital rights topics, such as privacy, freedom of expression, restrictions to internet access, biometric identification, smart cities, and the Internet of Things
- Writing blog posts in Arabic and/or English
- Developing multimedia content for SMEX’s different online platforms
- Assisting the team in producing our monthly newsletter
- Co-managing SMEX’s social media presence
- Basic administrative tasks
- Good writing, communication, and presentation skills in both Arabic and English
- A demonstrated interest in topics related to digital rights, advocacy, journalism, social media and online learning
- The ability to travel and attend conferences locally and internationally
Desired Qualifications and Attitudes
- Familiarity with online collaboration tools, such as Google Docs, Trello, and Slack
- Project management experience
- The ability to take initiative when needed and follow instructions when required
- Good organization and time management skills
- You enjoy startup culture and being part of a team
Terms of Employment
We encourage our interns to commit to a period of six months and offer them the possibility to get full-time employment with us in the future.
SMEX makes every effort to compensate our interns with a small stipend. Stipends in the past have averaged between $300-$500 a month for full-time interns working 35 hours a week.
You will also gain:
- Knowledge of digital rights issues in Lebanon and the MENA region.
- Experience working in a small NGO
- Advocacy and journalism skills, especially regarding the strategic use of online media
- Management, visualization, data collection, and design expertise
- A portfolio of writing and research projects
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SMEX Internship” in the subject line. We accept applications on a rolling basis.
In your application, please:
- Include a current CV
- Tell us briefly why this internship interests you and how it fits into your current studies and future career goals
- Include links to previous work, especially work that shows your writing and media skills
We look forward to receiving your application, so feel free to get creative. We apologize in advance for being unable to reply to all submissions, or interview all candidates.
NOTE: This internship will be open until announced otherwise; only complete applications will be reviewed.