Innovation for Change supports new and established approaches to promote, strengthen, and connect a vibrant, pluralistic, and rights-based civil society in open, closing, and closed spaces through the establishment of demand-driven and cutting-edge virtual hubs that support the development of civil society in their regions, by helping civil society organizations develop and utilize innovative approaches that address the development challenges they are facing. The MENA Hub has recently been launched and is recruiting a hub coordinator to help operationalize hub activities and services.
SMEX, a Beirut-based media development and digital rights organization and an incubator of the MENA Hub, will host the hub coordinator at its premises and facilitate their interaction with the stewards of the global helper hub, CIVICUS and Counterpart International, as well as with other members of the hub across the region.
In addition to implementing governance structures and developing hub systems, the hub coordinator will explore new partnerships with like-minded entities, such as coworking spaces, social entrepreneurs, and other groups, and ensure timely and consistent communication among incubators on the progress of hub development.
- Ensure the implementation of the MENA Hub’s mandate. Responsible for the overall design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of all programs undertaken by the hub
- Populate and update the MENA section of the Innovation for Change website
- Develop and establish working relations with local and regional service providers and consultants, human resources planning and management
- Liaise with like-minded organizations for cooperation and support to the hub on local and regional levels
- Supervise the financial management of the hub, including financial planning, budget monitoring, procurement and financial reporting respecting grant procedures.
- Work with the innovation for Change Helper hub grant manager and staff to prepare comprehensive budgets and narrative reports.
- Coordinate the establishment of the governance structure of the MENA Hub with the incubators and formalize the hub structure-
- Provide the incubation team with comprehensive, regular reports on the activities and expenditures of the hub and its requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., social sciences, law, politics, economics and human rights). A post-graduate degree is an asset
- At least 3-5 years of progressive experience in running and implementing projects
- Knowledge, skills and abilities in: leadership and management principles, human resources management, financial management, and project management
- Exception internal and external communications skills, verbal and written, and networking skills
- Well-developed editorial and digital literacy, including familiarity with Google Docs, Slack, Asana/Trello, blogging platforms, and social media
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the architecture of human rights organizations, in the MENA region
- Fluency in English and Arabic is a must; a working proficiency in French is highly preferred
- Experience in one or more of our core content areas: technology and the internet, human rights, advocacy, and activism
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS and the fundamentals of digital security
- Can travel, if necessary
The initial contract will be for a period of 4 months, with the possibility of renewal. We aim to have the hub manager in place between July 31 and September 5, 2017.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
To apply, submit a CV, a one-page motivation letter explaining your interest in this position and your qualifications for it, as well as contact details for three current references, with “MENA Hub Manager” in the subject line, to email@example.com by Friday, July 7, 2017. Incomplete applications will not be considered.