SMEX has developed a hotline to mitigate new threats to digital civic space in Lebanon. We provide technical advice and assistance to civil society groups, activists, lawyers, journalists, vulnerable groups, and human rights defenders in order to improve their digital security practices to stay safe online.
SMEX is recruiting Digital Security Hotline coordinators to operate on a telephone hotline, assess the level of risk, and follow the mechanisms to provide counsel and help to the caller.
- Develop or tweak existing guidelines
- Handle incidents (answer hotline phone calls and emails) as per guidelines
- Take detailed note of any complaints or issues reported by the callers and share it with the project manager
- Question effectively caller’s details with high levels of accuracy
- Follow up with the caller
- Provide technical help and assistance in collaboration with the project manager, or trainer
- Work alongside your colleagues as a team and proactively seek to develop and maintain knowledge and skill sets by planned training.
- A university degree is preferred but not required
- Active listening skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong writing and editing ability in Arabic and English
- Well-developed digital literacy, including familiarity with Google Docs, Slack, and Asana
- Must be based in Lebanon and able to commit to agreed hours/week
- Knowledge of human rights and/or digital rights issues is a must
- Knowledge of digital safety/cybersecurity is an advantage;
- Good understanding of the digital threats faced by victims of human rights abuse and human rights activists and defenders is an advantage;
- Prior experience working with women and/or queer communities, civil society, and Human Rights defenders is an advacntage.
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in a fast-paced
- Work well in a team
- Take initiative and responsibility and are open to direct feedback
- Value diversity of background, opinion, and approach
- Willing to experiment and reflect on lessons learned
This is a consultancy based role. The salary range is 600 – 800 USD.
The recruitment process consists of two main steps:
- Interested candidates should first complete the online application
- Qualified applicants will be contacted for a follow-up video interview.