SMEX seeks a legal advisor with an interest in digital rights-related issues to launch and lead our Legal Unit. The Legal Unit will support our technical and advocacy teams in affecting more sustainable changes to the digital landscape, by bolstering our authority to address the frequent violations of data security, digital privacy and freedom of expression in Lebanon and the region. As the head of our Legal Unit, you will provide legal support for device seizure cases and other privacy and freedom of expression violations reported to SMEX, contribute your legal expertise to SMEX’s editorial and advocacy initiatives, and engage stakeholders at various levels of government. This is a full-time position for an initial period of four months, with the possibility of extension.
- Research and identify relevant domestic and international legal frameworks and potential legal avenues for intervention on various digital rights issues
- Assist lawyers handling digital rights cases with technical and institutional knowledge of subject matter
- Produce materials on digital rights legal mechanisms and frameworks for publication
- Draft blogposts on latest digital rights law developments in Lebanon for the SMEX website
- Integrate relevant legislation and cases into editorial content and advocacy campaigns
- Draft memos or open letters to relevant authorities
- Collaborate with legal departments of other local, regional and global digital rights organizations
- Track and follow-up on device seizure cases investigated by SMEX technical team
- Monitor and document device seizure cases and SMEX digital safety helpdesk complaints of privacy breaches committed by authorities
- Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Research or other professional background in human rights, public policy, public international law, information and communication technologies preferred
- Excellent writing and communication skills for both legal and non-legal audiences
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic
- Knowledge of the Lebanese legal system and spheres of government
- Familiarity with SMEX’s core issues and must share common human rights values around privacy, users’ rights, electronic surveillance, data protection, freedom of expression, accessibility, open culture
- Sensitive to the impact of gender, sexuality, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, language, class and culture on the experiences of people both online and offline in Lebanon
- Ability to work across teams
We encourage candidates who identify as women and/or LGBTQIA+ to apply.
Up to 2,000USD per month.
Interested applicants should complete this form before 15 August 2020.