Social Media Exchange is recruiting a full-time digital rights campaigner (one or more) to promote new digital rights research and develop measurable, evidence-based digital rights advocacy campaigns and supporting events and workshops.
In addition to having a passion for protecting human rights online, the ideal candidate/s should follow the latest issues and dilemmas in technology, such as tensions between freedom of expression, hate speech, security, and sexual harassment online; data protection, privacy, and biometrics; online terrorism, surveillance, and smart cities; as well as other issues such as net neutrality and access to information.
You can be a fresh graduate, researcher, journalist, lawyer, communicator or a techie, as long as you are a self-starter who is passionate about the intersection between human rights and technology. You will work with a small but devoted team and be expected to set and work toward achieving ambitious goals.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing targeted communications strategies that leverage a range of channels, from print to social media
- Writing both rigorous and compelling blog posts about SMEX’s work in a timely manner
- Conducting research around digital rights and media development fields
- Creating, updating, and curating content for SMEX’s website
- Programming energetic and innovative events and other opportunities that will draw new members to the community and further engage existing ones
- Familiarity with SMEX’s core issues and must share common human rights values around privacy, users’ rights, electronic surveillance, data protection, freedom of expression, accessibility, open culture
- Excellent writing and communications skills, including experience producing content for multiple online platforms (blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) and multimedia
- At least a basic understanding of HTML, CSS, and a willingness to learn more
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; respect for deadlines and iterative processes
- Experience organizing measurable online campaigns, preferably for an advocacy-oriented organization
- An understanding of design processes and ability to work with designers
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure when necessary
We prefer candidates with:
- A strong command of both written and spoken Arabic and English
- An in-depth understanding of advocacy in the Arab region
- Ability to work from the SMEX Badaro office
Interested candidates should send a motivation letter (see below) and a current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “DIGITAL RIGHTS CAMPAIGNER” in the subject line.
Please note: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
In your motivation letter, please:
- Tell us what about this position most interests you and how it fits into your career goals
- Choose one digital rights issue and explain its importance in a local context
- Show us why you are uniquely qualified for the job
- Share 2-3 links of online content (writing, video, etc.) you have produced (written, video, audio, presentations, etc.). Content from campaigns is preferred.
Social Media Exchange (SMEX) is a registered Lebanese NGO that works to advance self-regulating information societies in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Through highly contextualized media development and digital rights programs, we leverage applied research, social networks, and open technologies to advocate for policies and practices that will lead to sustainable social change.