SMEX is a non-profit that advances and defends human rights and freedoms in the digital sphere across West Asia and North Africa. SMEX advocates for people in the WANA and the diaspora to be able to access and engage with the internet, mobile services, and other networked spaces safely and without fear of censorship, surveillance, or repercussion. Our teams fulfill this vision through reporting, research, policy analysis, campaigns, and various projects. SMEX is primarily concerned with the impact of technology on human rights, recognizing that digital rights are human rights.
Our vision is for everyone in Lebanon and across the Arab region to be able to access the internet, mobile services, and other networked spaces in order to communicate and express themselves safely and without fear of censorship, surveillance, or repercussion.
Our mission is to advance digital rights in Lebanon and the Arab region through research, campaigns, and advocacy that encourages users to engage critically with digital technologies, media, and networks.
We believe in the transformative power of access to information and self-expression, both online and offline. We assert that these rights are essential to peaceful, dynamic, and prosperous societies.
SMEX is dedicated to safeguarding the online civic space and protecting the rights of activists, journalists, lawyers, bloggers, marginalized groups and communities, and human rights defenders in Arabic-speaking countries. The Regional Digital Safety Helpdesk Manager will be dedicated to expanding our Digital Safety Helpdesk in the WANA region. You will play a crucial role in executing our strategy to enhance digital safety and respond effectively to online threats across Arabic-speaking countries. Success in this position entails establishing partnerships, building local capacity, enhancing rapid response mechanisms, promoting peer-to-peer learning, and advocating for digital safety.
- Lead, manage, and support the Digital Safety Helpdesk team in the WANA region in the operation and programmatic aspects of the work.
- Plan, coordinate, and prioritize the workload and shifts of the regional Helpdesk team, overseeing the quality of response and its compliance with established procedures.
- Develop, review, and curate digital safety resources, guidelines, and best practices to strengthen the Helpdesk’s knowledge database.
- Organize and conduct induction and training sessions on Helpdesk management to cultivate a skilled and knowledgeable team.
- Maintain a database to monitor the progress of each country-specific Helpdesk, ensuring transparency and accountability.
- Take part in and facilitate learning sessions and meetings among different Helpdesk units fostering knowledge exchange and gathering intelligence about local-level threats and mitigation strategies.
- Contribute to the strategic programmatic direction of the Digital Safety Helpdesk Unit guiding its mission and impact.
- Periodically review and update the policies and procedures of the Digital Safety Helpdesk to ensure they align with best practices while evolving legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Develop a continuous learning and professional development program for the Helpdesk teams to ensure they are up-to-date with the latest digital safety practices and technologies.
- Prepare periodic reports that provide insights into the Helpdesk’s activities, achievements, challenges, and recommendations for improvement.
- Maintain comprehensive documentation of cases and activities for accountability and future reference.
- Establish partnerships with organizations in each target country to expand the Digital Safety Helpdesk’s reach,influence, and mission.
- Conduct ongoing research and follow up on threats, potential partners, and other topics that influence the Helpdesk, ensuring it remains agile and effective.
- Develop evidence-based advocacy materials highlighting the importance of digital safety and its impact on human rights and participate in advocacy efforts to drive policy-level change.
- Organize roundtable discussions, seminars, and public events to engage policymakers and raise awareness of digital safety issues.
- Collaborate with local and international partners to amplify the advocacy message and advocate for policy reforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Information Technology, International Relations, Human Rights or a related discipline; a Master’s degree is a plus.
- Strong people management skills with an ability to lead and motivate a diverse team in charge of responding to digital emergencies in real time.
- Proven track record of working on digital rights, online safety, and advocacy initiatives within Arabic-speaking countries.
- Substantial experience in project management, with a focus on digital safety and online security and the ability to plan, execute, and oversee complex initiatives.
- Proficiency in developing, implementing, and monitoring digital safety resources, guidelines, and programs.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in both Arabic and English. French is a plus.
- Experience in advocacy efforts and engaging with policymakers, stakeholders, and international organizations.
- Proficient in strategic planning, partnership development, and advocacy materials development.
- Competency in conducting research and analysis of digital safety threats and challenges.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Passionate about protecting and promoting human rights, including privacy, freedom of expression, accessibility, and open culture.
- Proactive, innovative, and willing to take initiative.
- Dedicated to a detail-oriented approach and thoroughness in managing digital safety initiatives.
- An active and empathetic listener.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Efficient time and resource allocation to meet project deadlines.
- Leadership Skills
- Strategic Thinking
- Team Management
- Active Listening
- Initiative Taking
Duty Station: Beirut, Lebanon
Office Presence: Hybrid/remote
Employment Status: Full-Time
Reporting Line: Deputy Director
Supervision Line: Helpdesk Assistants
The applicant should fill in this form.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.